This soup is comfort food at it’s best. A wholesome soup which warms the soul and cheers the heart. I often make this Chicken Noodle Soup when the weather turns chilly or when someone is not feeling well. I use a whole oven-ready chicken for this recipe as my slow cooker is large enough to accommodate it. However you could joint the chicken into smaller pieces to fit or substitute with chicken thighs or legs but the cooking time may need to be reduced. Always check your chicken is thoroughly cooked before serving.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 kg oven ready chicken
- 700ml/1.5 pints hot vegetable stock
- 114g/4oz dried egg tagliatelle
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, plus extra to garnish
- Chop, dice and slice the vegetables and place in the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the stock and cover. Cook on low for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours carefully lift the chicken out and remove the meat from the carcass. Keep the bones to make a stock.
- Cut the meat into bite size chunks.
- Skim any excess fat from the juices in the slow cooker and then return the chicken to the slow cooker. Turn up to high.
- Bring a large saucepan to the boil and add the tagliatelle. Cook for 8-10 minutes until tender but with a little firmness.
- Drain the pasta and add to the chicken and vegetables
- Stir the tagliatelle in and some of the dill. Cover and cook on high for a further 20 minutes. Sprinkle the rest of the dill on top and serve immediately.
This recipe was submitted to Slow Cooker Sunday